DNS: Let's get some cooperation

From: Kevin Dinn <kevin§zip.com.au>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 18:45:35 +0000
Greetings all,

I have been trying to avoid getting involved with the morass of
politics surrounding ADNA but I am just about to fail in this
mission.

I, like most people are keen to have something set up to oversee the
creation of competition in the world of Australian domain names.
Unfortunately many are not happy with the way ADNA is going about it
or the way they perceive ADNA is going about it. So I have tried to
find some middle ground which we can carry on from.

To this end I have got the opinions of the ADNA board, the AIA board,
reps from WAIA and SAIA, Karl Auer from ISOC-AU and Robert Elz and
while they don't all agree to everything there is a common set of
fundamentals they all seem to be able to live with. These are:

- ADNA should start off by setting up new DNAs for .com.au to
  introduce competition.
- ADNA takes applications for new 2LDs for use in the commercial
  realm and accepts them as long as they aren't too "silly" [Robert
  Elz's word]
- ADNA needs more broad representation especially of both commercial
  and private users of domains (Yes, the ADNA board thinks this as
  well)
- ADNA makes no claim to the rest of the .au domains at this stage.
  Maybe one day in the fullness of time it may become apparent that
  this is appropriate and if so it could happen then.

So how's this for a plan. ADNA goes ahead with the commercial stuff.
User groups like ISOC-AU, the Vice Chancelors etc. join ADNA and make
sure it doesn't dabble in other things (you will have support from
many of the ADNA board members in this). We then have first hand
representation from the bodies most concerned about ADNA becoming
involved in other domains. This will make it possible for ADNA to
make decisions as to whether it should take them over and if so
under what conditions.

One big happy family :-)

Oh, in case you're wondering who I am; I'm the president of the
Australian Internet Alliance (AIA), rep for the AIA on the ADNA board
and I run Zip Internet. Pleased to meet you.
Regards

--