Re: DNS: Let's get some cooperation

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 11:51:33 +1000 (EST)
] Is our response going to be "A bloke called Bob"?
]
] While I have every respect for Robert Elz, it is ludicrous to say it
] is better to have one person have overall control of .au because a
] body that respresents the interested parties couldn't be formed.

Perhaps someone who knows more about the US Internet would like to
explain about "a bloke called Jon".

I started writing a detailed reply to this, but then decided that it
is better not to launch into discussion on AU now, since it is unclear
whether ADNA really does want to tackle that problem now, or is going
to leave consideration of it until later.

] Some possible compromises to consider:
]
] People don't like the idea of ADNA claiming control of all of .au;
] ADNA compromises by making a statement that initially it will only
] deal in commercial domains - .com.au and .net.au if the Connect dudes
] will be in it. Maybe it could even change its objectives to this
] affect. (BTW - I am not speaking for ADNA here, I'm just one member)

I have not seen anything from ADNA that says it will *only* deal in
commercial domains for the time being.  I have seen something that
says it will give *priority* to domains for the business community.

I remind readers that an organisation may give priority to 5 different
things and work on them all at the same time (politicians give
"priority" to lots of things all the time).

] People don't like the idea of 2LDs being created. The people
] compromise by accepting a statement from ADNA that it will only
] create 2LDs for commerial purposes. Sure this isn't exactly what you
] want - but it is a compromise.

IMHO, that is exactly wrong.  If someone was going to create a new 2LD
in the next 6 months, I would be much happier if it was a *non*
commercial domain.  I think it would be folly to create new 2LDs
for commercial users until the com.au problem is fixed.  We shouldn't
even be thinking about new commercial 2LDs until we have a clearer
understanding of how com.au is going to be governed in future.

] Basically I think its time for ISOC-AU, etc. to decide whether they
] are out to help create a truly representative and useful organisation
] to sort out DNS in Australia or is blocking ADNA in the interest of
] some hidden agenda.

At the moment ISOC-AU is going through a consultative process to find
out what its members think about this situation.  I think ISOC-AU has
recognised/reaffirmed that it needs to consult first and decide second.
But of course, consulting takes time...
David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  http://www.cyber.com.au/  +61 3 9642-5997
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management