Re: DNS: Let's get some cooperation

From: Kevin Dinn <kevin§zip.com.au>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 09:14:56 +0000
*big sigh* Now I'm beginning to see the problem.

I will try and make this brief as I don't want this to be another
long-winded go-nowehere debate about DNS. I'll say my piece then if
that resolves nothing I'll give up.

All around the world organisations of all sizes ranging up to the US
government are organising systems for managing DNS because it is
becoming so important. Eventually they are going to set it all up and
get it going. Then they're going to ask Australia what we have
in place to coordinate this important sector of the Internet.

Is our response going to be "A bloke called Bob"?

While I have every respect for Robert Elz, it is ludicrous to say it
is better to have one person have overall control of .au because a
body that respresents the interested parties couldn't be formed.

So if we accept we need some organisation, ADNA is the closest thing
to it. It may be miles away from it but it is still the closest thing
to it. Now we can either take the attitude that it's not perfect and
block it until it is perfect (never) or we can negotiate, compromise
and offer constructive suggestions to get it there.

Some possible compromises to consider:

People don't like the idea of ADNA claiming control of all of .au;
ADNA compromises by making a statement that initially it will only
deal in commercial domains - .com.au and .net.au if the Connect dudes
will be in it. Maybe it could even change its objectives to this
affect. (BTW - I am not speaking for ADNA here, I'm just one member)

People don't like the idea of 2LDs being created. The people
compromise by accepting a statement from ADNA that it will only
create 2LDs for commerial purposes. Sure this isn't exactly what you
want - but it is a compromise.

People say that they won't join ADNA because they don't like it's
attitude/articles. We call a special meeting of ADNA which anyone can
attend to thrash these things out. Assuming an agreement can be
reached then the abstaining groups can join.

People say ADNA doesn't supply information about what is going on.
ADNA has accepted this criticism and is working on a web page as we
type.

There's probably lots more good compromises that I haven't thought of
- maybe you guys can suggest some.

Basically I think its time for ISOC-AU, etc. to decide whether they
are out to help create a truly representative and useful organisation
to sort out DNS in Australia or is blocking ADNA in the interest of
some hidden agenda. If it is a hidden agenda, let us know what it is
- maybe its a better idea.

BTW - I speak plain English, not legalese so please don't just pick
apart my wording.

Regards

--