Re: DNS: Let's get some cooperation

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 19:16:09 +1000 (EST)
] > People don't like the idea of 2LDs being created. The people
] > compromise by accepting a statement from ADNA that it will only
] > create 2LDs for commerial purposes.

Michael Malone wrote:
] I'd go further and say that ADNA should not be "creating 2LD's"
] at all, at least in the foreseeable future.  ADNA should be
] asking for public suggestions for new 2LD's, evaluating them
] with public input, and then forming recommendations saying
] whether there is a real need for any new 2LD.

Exactly.
Perhaps in the medium term, kre could take on a role like the
"Govenor General" of AU (if he and ADNA are happy with that,
and assuming that all goes well with ADNA in the short term).

] Yes, it will take a while.  But there's no immediate rush for
] new 2LD's.  What there is a need for (in my opinion) is to
] begin such a process.

Again, I don't think its wise to request suggestions for new domains
until the community has had a chance to see what is proposed for com.au.

For example, there was a request for biz.au many months ago.  If the
right solution is found for com.au, then most of the original reasons
for this request (as I remember it) disappear.

] Sure.  Personally, I wouldn't object to reducing ADNA to
] an ACN and a "willingness to work together" by its members.

Having something with a less voracious appetite for $$$ would be
a good thing.

] Rewriting the constitution to allow more "broad representation"
] is not something I  have a problem with.

Another good sign.
David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  http://www.cyber.com.au/  +61 3 9642-5997
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management