Re: DNS: Let's get some cooperation

From: Stephen Baxter <steve§senet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 23:03:12 +0930 (CST)

> Having something with a less voracious appetite for $$$ would be
> a good thing.

Money is required to do actual real work, the amount of money needed to
operate is small compared to the cost to the participants in the DNS
forums held so far.

I agree that it is shame that we actually have to pay to join but the fee
is not unreasonable even for small bodies and the members are not
corporate giants who can rule the show (MM and MIT get no voting rights)
but groups of people who are involved in the industry.

The money being generated by melbouneit for .com.au so far goes to
melbourneit. ADNA has also identified a role is monitoring the .au
namespace as well as efforts to develop software to make competition in
any domain space viable.

Programmers need pizza as one of mine keeps telling me, this stuff has to
be paid for eventually, participants can fly in meetings at their own
expense and have so far proved willing to do from all parts of the country
but the change in .com.au alone will consume some funds.

ADNA has no power to pay the board for attending etc so they are no kick
backs involved - ADNA has the power to pay its bills.

> ] Rewriting the constitution to allow more "broad representation"
> ] is not something I  have a problem with.
>
> Another good sign.

The ADNA constition/MOU is hollow and is ripe for any member to help mould
it to what it should be, it always has been. The is nothing really
offensive in the constitution, noting is set.
It has a bunch of objectives that have nothing behind them because the
people who wrote it knew that policy needed to be developed as stated in
its other objectives.

Two of the objects of ADNA are :

	to take steps including private meetings, public meetings,
representations to Parliament and other bodies as may be deemed expedient
to promote any of the objects of ADNA;

to consult widely with industry bodies and the public on policy issues
arising with respect to the au. domain and sub-domains of au.;

Stephen Baxter                            SE Network Access
SE Network Access                         http://www.senet.com.au
Direct Internet Access                    222 Grote Street
phone : +61 8 8221 5221                   Adelaide 5000
fax   : +61 8 8221 5220

<http://www.senet.com.au/~steve/pgp.html for Public Key>