Re: DNS: Let's get some cooperation

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 08:38:15 +0900

>ISOC has succeeded in depersonalising the members of ADNA,
>and their sincere wishes, to "ADNA", and we refer to them
>as "ISOC".  A round table discussion may help, by removing
>ADNA and ISOC and returning us all to the reality of the
>people involved.

Can we all just get on with discussing, preferably here in this list, the
draft criteria for selection of DNA's in com.au? That will, of course, need
those selection criteria to be posted here - pretty please?

Can one of the nice, real, people present at the ADNA meeting (which would
have included me if I could have made it on the day) please answer my
how to joint it, and about the timetable that the relevant ADNA working
party is operating on for bringing this into production?

I'm personally bloody tired of this bantering when we could be using all
that spare energy to get something useful done. That doesn't mean:

	- governance disussions about .AU (leave it alone for now)
	- dicussions about new domains or ADNA's role in domains other than
	com.au (leave it alone for now)

it DOES mean:

	- where the heck are those selection criteria and minutes of meetings and
press releases and timetables? To the individuals who spent their time in
Sydney recently thrashing this lot out in a meeting labelled "ADNA", can
the rest of us please muck in and help? To do that, you've just got to give
us _more information_, and we'll help!

Michael has told me privately that the release of this information is very
much intended (which is what I'd expect). I'm hanging out for it,
personally, as an alternative to people depersonalising anything at all, or
just opening up more of the same circular discussions. Let's get on with
the (apparently) universally agreed aim of leading the USA for once in
getting competition into .COM.AU before the US sorts out the morasse in
future managment of .COM (which is heading for an almightly bunfight when
NSI's existing contract runs out).

To lead the world, we just have to start discussing actual, tangible
results. To do that, we just have to have ADNA's representatives release
information and release details of how they plan to incorporate public
comment about the DNA selection criteria back into the criteria document.

Let's just get on with it. Right now I feel like I'm watching a scene from
Monty Python's "Life of Brian" - the scene where the ringleaders are
sitting around discussing how they WILL save Brian discussing PROCESS but
not ACTING on it -  ignoring the protestations of a single one of their
number who stands at the side of the room like a broken record, urging them
to get off of their tails and actually *do something*. I feel like that
person now (notwithstanding that in the movie, it was a woman!)

Help! Help! Someone wants to actually GET ON WITH IT Before November.
Anyone else want to help too?

"it" is belping to define the DNA selection criteria for com.au competition
(and potentially for wider use), discussing this, proposing it to this
community, gaining consensus, having Robert Elz agree to it in the face of
that community consensus, and getting it implemented. Anyone who doesn't
think that'll keep us all busy until November isn't being realistic. c'mon
folks, please!!

Regards,
  Simon Hackett (speaking for himself)

---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777