Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted

From: Chris Chaundy <chris§connect.com.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:07:39 +1000
At 13:39 10/7/97, Larry Singer wrote:
>>Perhaps one of the criteria for another 2LD should be it shouldn't
>>add to the stability problem.  In that case .tm.au looks like one of
>>the more viable options - if we were to build in the rule that the
>>domain name always goes with the trademark owner.
>
>I vaguelly remember reading recently that there were a number of different
>trade mark categories. For instance Acme could be a computer trade mark and
>a clothing trademark. Does anyone know if this is the case in Australia? If
>there was only one .tm.au domain then wouldn't we still have the
>first-come-first-served problem?

Yes - this has been discussed in other forums - there are about 50 or so
trade mark categories which would require separate 3LDs to resolve this
problem (luckily 'tm' is nice and short) - there are some extremely
unusual groupings in these categories.

--
Chris Chaundy (Network Manager)

connect.com.au pty ltd, Level 9, 114 Albert Rd, Sth Melbourne, VIC 3205, Aust.
Internet: chris&#167;connect.com.au   Phone: +61 3 9251-3671   Fax: +61 3 9251-3666