Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted

From: Larry Singer <larry§wright.com.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:04:01 +1000
mark.hughes words of wisdom were:

>So what do we do?  Have one commercial 2LD, first in best dressed,
>and latecomers accept that their domain name won't look like their
>normal business name?  Or have .com.au and .biz.au and as many
>others as people want as well?

Is the domain name a "name" or an "address"?

If it is an address (like a street address or a telephonic address/phone
number, etc) then it doesn't need to bear a direct relationship to the
company name. After all not everyone has their office on Microsoft Way.

If it is a name then we do have to find a way to allow people to choose the
name they want. For a business this needs to be close to the business name.

Currently the domain name is used as a name. But it is really just an
address! So we need to make the philosophical decision to let it be a name
or let it be an address.

Possibly another way is to have some domains such as .com.au operating as a
name space and others like .id.au operating as a addresses.

---
Panther (as in Pinkboard Panther) <panther&#167;pinkboard.com.au>
Larry Singer <larrys&#167;pinkboard.com.au>
Larry Singer <larry&#167;wright.com.au>
http://www.pinkboard.com.au/~panther/
Sending junk email to my addresses will result in rude messages.
"That kind of guy."