Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted

From: George Michaelson <ggm§connect.com.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 15:09:01 +1000
As a reminder in the context of David Keegels posting, .com.au numbers
under 50,000 domains, and I understand .COM to number around 1,000,000

Now we all know that NSI is not exactly the flavour of the month right now
but if we exclude operational issues with respect to the DNA, this strongly
suggests that federated countries are able to support vastly larger numbers
of competing claimants to any of the short/useful names than we have right now.

However, I note there are state-level options in the USA, and in the past KRE
has rejected proposals for 7 state-level naming forms under .AU for reasons
which now escape me, but which seemed reasonable at the time :-)

Our friends from the commercial sector will be able to confirm the number of
SMEs in Australia, forseeable growthrates of internet-presence, and the like
and I really do suggest that .com.au is not going to be 'full' measured
against .COM for a large number of 'internet-dog' years.

-George
--
George Michaelson         |  connect.com.au pty/ltd
Email: ggm&#167;connect.com.au |  c/o AAPT,