Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted

From: Leni Mayo <leni§ais.com.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:03:37 +1000
Chris Chaundy wrote:

> At 13:52 10/7/97, Stephen Baxter wrote:
> >> Yes - this has been discussed in other forums - there are about 50 or so
> >> trade mark categories which would require separate 3LDs to resolve this
> >> problem (luckily 'tm' is nice and short) - there are some extremely
> >> unusual groupings in these categories.
> >
> >Hello Chris,
> >
> >Do you have any web references for these groupings ?
>
> See http://www.piperpat.co.nz/tmclass.html (found from my trusty
> search engine harking back to an earlier posting ;-).

Or http://www.aipo.gov.au/tpd/tm/tmarks.htm for the
Australian Industrial Property Organisation page on trademarks.
There are 42 categories: 34 classes of goods and 8 classes of services.

By way of example, category number 30 includes coffee, so under one of
the proposals, the owners of the "mycoffee" trademark might register the
name mycoffee.30.tm.au

Personally, I'm not entirely clear what the "for" case is for a tm.au
domain.  Not that it's really a burning issue at the moment, but are we
really likely to see a marketing campaign involving
http://mycoffee.30.tm.au?  Is the Australian public going to end up
memorizing the numerical trademark categories?

Leni.