Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 17:37:56 +0000
It should be noted that each country has adopted different trademark
classifications, much to the glee of international trademark
lawyers and to everyone else's expense.

I must admit that after much thought about this I wonder about the
wisdom of using an external citation as the reference of 'validity'
of a DNS name. The problem is that there are so many different
citation points of reference and no clear uniformity or hierarchy
between them all, that a DNS system which attempts to reference
various external citation points still cannot resolve name clashes
cleanly and in my humble view does little to solve the problem.

Subdividing the DNS into citation points (rbn.vic.com.au for
company names registered with the VIctorian Business Office
for example) clearly does not make dns namesany easier,
and I suspect that the attempt to map external name systems
into the DNS will fail in the long run simply becuase of the
extention of the cintation authority into the name makes an
uncomfortably long name.

So is First Com First Served a viable policy? Well tempered
by some form of allocation management which is intended to
precvent an individual or single corporate entity engaging in
massive name hoarding (either direct policy or indirect through
pricing policy) it may well be the best answer.

Geoff