FCFS allocation (was Re: DNS: ADNA's first decisions - Minuted)

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 16:27:56 +1000 (EST)
Geoff Huston wrote:
] NSI's "use now, pay later" policy encourages speculative hoarding.

(Sometimes I wonder whether NSI are deliberately trying to shoot
themselves in the foot.)

] Which is why I still believe that a FCFS policy, tempered by some
] judicious policy may well be appropriate.

I think past NSI experience with COM has shown that a pure FCFS policy
is not a good one (except for the lawyers).  On the other hand, I would
not advocate changing com.au policy to something as strict as plc.uk
where you can virtually only register your exact company name.

In some ways, I would say the current policy for com.au is "a FCFS
policy, tempered by some judicious policy".  In this case, the
"judicious policy" is requiring domain names to reflect in some
way an organisational or business name.

It does not seek to enforce uniqueness in the same way as plc.uk,
nor does it allow the "open slather" approach which prevails in com.
Because it does not seek to enforce uniqueness, there is no need
for suggestions like rbn.vic.com.au.

This means that there can still be cases where two organisations
have a dispute over a name which they are both "entitled" to.
But if you can reduce the number of disputes so that domain
hoarders are (mostly) out in the cold, then this is surely a
good thing.

I do not see an advantage in weakening this aspect of com.au policy.

In fact, I suggest that if any new 2LDs were created for commericial
organisations at some stage in future (for whatever reason), that
this aspect be written in to their policies as well.

] >Geoff Huston wrote:
] >> I must admit that after much thought about this I wonder about the
] >> wisdom of using an external citation as the reference of 'validity'
] >> of a DNS name.