Re: DNS: Revised selection criteria for new DNAs/2LDs

From: Kevin Dinn <kevin§zip.com.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 11:30:06 +0000
At 09:43 30/07/97 +1000, you wrote:
>Two points:
>(1) The minimum requirements of a commercial DNA, in terms of providing
>help-desk support, processing of payments and accounting, registration
>itself and dealing with regulatory/legal issues, require a minimum staffing
>resource (well above one full-time staff member) that is virtually
>traffic-independent.  It is quite reasonable of ADNA to demand that
>applicant DNAs should demonstrate the financial capability to resource
>these essential functions.
>The Internet industry is already in some disrepute with the general
>business community for poor performance by many under-capitalised ISPs, and
>it will get into further disrepute if the DNS also delivers poor
>performance through being under-resourced.

Peter,

I agree that us ISPs are occasionally guilty of delusions of grandeur and
biting off more than we can chew. However we should also take into account
that we will be replacing Melbourne IT running .com.au alone with some
number (10 ish?) DNAs sharing the load. So while it may need more than 1
person, it probably won't need as many as Melbourne IT have on the case. So
I guess we are looking at somewhere in between.

>(2) My impression is that the IAHC/CORE criteria are now stable - perhaps
>Geoff Huston could comment on tnis. The IAHC/CORE financial criterion of
>demonstrating that you can draw upon the equivalent of A$400K credit is not
>an excessive barrier to entry for any serious business embarking upon a
>commercial DNA role. I see no reason why Australian standards should be set
>any weaker than the gTLD standards on this point.

Perhaps using $ rather than staff numbers is a better way to go as it can
then be used to indicate an ability to handle all eventualities whether it
be a need for more staff, more equipment, more connectivity - whatever. But
I think $400k is a lot steep. If we set it at this level we will rule out
all but quite large businesses. I think maybe more like $100k liquid
capital might be more reasonable.

>Regards
>PG

Regards