Re: DNS: DNA Selection Criteria V3.1

From: <mark.hughes§ccamatil.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 18:52:51 EDT
One of the problems with assuming either:

*That all commercial DNAs should do / would want to do all
commercial 2LDs
*That one policy document process can approve applicants for all
commercial 2LDs

is that some things are 2LD specific - even within commercial 2LDs,
and the fact that a DNA can successfully handle one 2LD doesn't mean
they can handle all.

If the rules for domain name allocation for one 2LD include "can't
be a geographic area with a postcode" and another 2LD include "must
be a valid owner of the Trademark" then the DNAs must have the
ability to check those criteria, and checking some criteria may be
more difficult than others.  Checking those criteria is one of the
things your money buys when you pay the DNA.

So I think the policy document should be 2LD specific and should be
the 'bible' for that 2LD.  A change I would make on my previous
posting, however, is that 4.1 should read:

4.1 Applicants for DNA roles must pay an application fee as set from
time to time by ADNA.  The fee for 1997/1998 is $5,000 for
organisations who are not currently DNAs.  This amount, minus any
administrative costs incurred in processing the application, is
refundable to unsuccessful DNA applicants.

That exempts new DNAs from paying multiple set-up fees.

Regards, Mark

*  Message From : HUGHES, MARK          *
*  Location     : AUSTRALIA-CCA HDQ     *
*  KOMAIL ID    : N17503  (CCAMCQN1)    *
*  Date and Time: 08/04/97  19:42:34    *