DNS: DNA Selection Criteria V3.1

From: Kevin Dinn <kevin§zip.com.au>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 09:43:36 +0000
OK - Based on Simon's amusing and, I believe, accurate summation of the
situation I have rewritten the criteria to make it:

- "deterministic", ie. the applicant will know before hand whether they fit
  the criteria and hence avoid subjective debates and legal implications
- a slightly lower barrier to entry as the ongoing viablility of a DNA is
  not (as first thought) critical to the viability of the DNS system

Here is Version 3.1:

------------------------------ 8< ---------------------------

1. Must be an incorporated body,
[everyone seems to agree on this]

2. Must be able to demonstrate availability of AU$200,000 liquid capital,
[To cover any unforseen issues like extra staff, equipment, connectivity]

3. A charge of $5000 to get setup - refundable minus any costs incurred in
researching application if unsuccessful,
[no objections to this so far]

4. Must have a permanent connection to the Internet,
[This used to be much more involved including descriptions of minimum
levels of connectivity, etc. but as the DNA wonât be hosting the DNS
servers it will only disadvantage them if their link is inadequate. If
customers canât get through they will go to another DNA]

5. Must be covered by at least $1,000,000 professional indemnity insurance,
[Seems OK with everybody]

6. The DNA should submit a business plan for the DNA sector of its
business. This should include a description of how the DNA will handle the
issues of
á receiving DN applications
á approving applications
á billing
á bad debt collection
á customer inquiries
á maintaining DNA system
á charges that will be applied
á cash flow forecast
á projections and processes for handling growth
[Still important for DNA to demonstrate some understanding of the issues
involved - if people think this is too much like Simon's "What I would do
if I were a DNA - by Fred Hopeful Pty Ltd" essay issue we can drop it]

[Have dropped old point 7: "Must submit contingency plan for support of its
domains if business fails or decides to stop being DNA", not really an
issue if the DNA has nothing to do with hosting the DNS servers]

7. DNA licences should be reviewed and renewed annually or more frequently
at the discretion of the ADNA board.

8. DNA must be prepared to commit to abide by the DNA Code of Conduct.
[Added this one - pretty obvious but may as well spell it out]