Re: DNS: DNA Selection Criteria V3.1

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:14:04 +1000 (EST)
] OK - Based on Simon's amusing and, I believe, accurate summation of the
] situation I have rewritten the criteria to make it:
]
] - "deterministic", ie. the applicant will know before hand whether they fit
]   the criteria and hence avoid subjective debates and legal implications

Personally I'm not sure that determinism is an appropriate restriction.

But since it is stated as a goal, lets look at whether the selection
criteria (v3.1) are deterministic.

] 6. The DNA should submit a business plan for the DNA sector of its
] business. This should include a description of how the DNA will handle the
] issues of
] á receiving DN applications
] á approving applications
] á billing
] á bad debt collection
] á customer inquiries
] á maintaining DNA system
] á charges that will be applied
] á cash flow forecast
] á projections and processes for handling growth

If ADNA is going to use the business plan to decide whether to accept
the DNA or not, then it is no longer deterministic.  If ADNA is not
going to read the business plan, then why ask for it?

I cannot understand how that point can be included in a "deterministic"
selection.

] 7. DNA licences should be reviewed and renewed annually or more frequently
] at the discretion of the ADNA board.

This is the opposite of deterministic.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that point 7 be dropped.  But it is
not possible to have this criterion/condition (which allows judgment
to be exercised) and to be deterministic.  You have to choose one.

] [Have dropped old point 7: "Must submit contingency plan for support of its
] domains if business fails or decides to stop being DNA", not really an
] issue if the DNA has nothing to do with hosting the DNS servers]

Personally I think it is important for a contingency plan to exist for the
case where a DNA ceases operation.  I suggest that if DNAs are not required
to provide it, then ADNA should create/approve a contingency plan for a
whole 2LD containing N DNAs (especially if it is possible that N=1).
David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  http://www.cyber.com.au/  +61 3 9642-5997
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management