Re: DNS: DNA Code of Practice Draft #4

From: Kevin Dinn <kevin§zip.com.au>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 18:22:59 +0000
At 15:03 5/08/97 +1000, Leni Mayo wrote:
>2 Code Of Practice
>
>A "competitive domain" is one in which more than one DNA registers
>names.   Sections 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8 always applies to competitive
>domains. Sections 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8 shall not apply to domains in which
>only one DNA operates.

There are actually some conditions in 2.6.2, 2.7.1, 2.7.3 which would apply
to DNAs of single DNA domains.

>2.2.3 The database must be replicated offsite, unless the DNA is
>prevented from doing so by law, in which case special dispensation must
>be obtained from ADNA.

I think ADNA should keep a master copy of contact details of domain holders
as a backup as well as in case a DNA disappears for whatever reason and the
data is lost.

>2.7.5 With respect to domains that it operates in, a DNA may register a
>domain name with the intention of registering names in the subdomain
>only if all other DNAs within the ADNA framework are also able to
>register names in the subdomain. As Robert Elz puts it, there is no
>notion of “I thought of it first!”

I don't understand this one - if anyone registers a 3LD and then goes into
business selling subdomains in it that's there business. There would be
nothing to stop non-DNAs doing it so why couldn't DNAs do it if they want
(not that I can see them wanting to). I don't see why ADNA has to have an
interest in what happens at the 4LD level.

>3.2 Sanctions
>DNAs must comply with any conclusion reached by the CPC, including a
>decision to impose a sanction as a result of a breach of the Code.
>Written notification of this will be forwarded to the DNA by the CPC.
>The sanctions to be imposed by the CPC on behalf of ADNA shall be
>regularly reviewed and may include fines and ultimately, revoking the
>DNAs licence to operate in any or all domains under the ADNA aegis.
>The CPC shall apply sanctions to the DNA in proportion to the perceived
>seriousness of the breach of the Code.  The CPC will make it’s best
>effort to apply any sanctions consistently among DNAs.  Repeated
>breaches may attract stiffer sanctions.

Maybe we should say "fines up to $10,000" or something - otherwise DNAs are
signing onto a blank cheque.

Looks good otherwise.
Regards

--