Re: DNS: DNA Code of Practice Draft #4

From: Leni Mayo <leni§toplevel.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 13:37:50 +1000
> >2.7.5 With respect to domains that it operates in, a DNA may register
> >domain name with the intention of registering names in the subdomain
> >only if all other DNAs within the ADNA framework are also able to
> >register names in the subdomain. As Robert Elz puts it, there is no
> >notion of ãI thought of it first!ä
>
> I don't understand this one - if anyone registers a 3LD and then goes
> into
> business selling subdomains in it that's there business. There would
> be
> nothing to stop non-DNAs doing it so why couldn't DNAs do it if they
> want
> (not that I can see them wanting to). I don't see why ADNA has to have
> an
> interest in what happens at the 4LD level.

This clause doesn't prevent a DNA selling names in a 3LD, it just allows
other ADNA DNAs to do so as well.

It depends on whether you think DNAs should be in the business of
speculating on names in order that they (or the 3LDs) be resold to
others.  The example was someone registering market.biz.au and then
exclusively selling victoria.market.biz.au and balmain.market.biz.au.
I'm not sure that 3LDs are important either, especially given the
changes taking place at the TLD level, but I thought I'd put it in
just in case.  Any other opinions?

Brings up an interesting point though, that names registered in "ADNA"
domains come with certain protections - like some confidence that a DNA
will be around to service it.  Names registered in non-ADNA domains
don't have the same protections, and the distinction should be made
clear to the customer.

Leni.