Re: DNS: tm.au and pr.au seminars today & tomorrow

From: <mark.hughes§ccamatil.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 00:25:42 EST
Robert wrote:

>As a data point, I'm told that there are some 80 registrations for
>the word 'Genesis' in only one of the 42 Nice trademark classes in
>the United States alone. That gives you an idea of the necessary
>type of minimum granularity you would need to directly map
>trademarks (80 * 42) into an explicit DNS ...structure.

Robert, could you clarify this issue.  I was under the impression
that a trademark could only be valid once in any one category - a
total of 42 possible identical trademarks.  Your posting implies
that there may be many identical trademarks within one category - is
that correct?  I've just had another prowl thru the AIPO web site to
find a definitive answer to this issue but have not found it.

If there can be multiple trademark owners within one category then I
can't see any workable proposal for a subset of the DNS to match
trademarks.  But if there is only one trademark owner per category,
and only five percent of trademarks exist in more than one category,
then a subset of the DNS for trademarks may be workable.
Whether its desirable is a separate issue.

Regards, Mark

*  Message From : HUGHES, MARK          *
*  Location     : AUSTRALIA-CCA HDQ     *
*  KOMAIL ID    : N17503  (CCAMCQN1)    *
*  Date and Time: 12/03/97  16:24:42    *