Re: DNS: Problems with .com.au, .net.au .org.au approvals

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:43:22 +1100
At 12:02 29/01/98 +1100, you wrote:

>> I should also mention that I have a vested interest in this issue,
>> as NetRegistry is soon launching a National Domain Registry under
>> .au.com with none of the restrictions MelbourneIT impose (apart from
>> FCFS :-).
>
> call me a purist. call me oldfashioned. .au.com is backwards.
> and not just on paper or screen.
>

> Max.

Max

I agree that au.com is unusual at this point. However, the  whole ethos of
naming is moving towards more choice, and .au.com is an alternative.

The key here is to satisfy clients. A company wants a domain name that
suits them, not a fairly arbitrary string of letters that is acceptable to
a monopoly DNA. Many ISP's endure flack from their customers because they
have no choice but to enforce unpopular MelbIT rules - putting them in an
awkard position from a customer services perspective.

To satisfy customers, ISP's must be able to offer them sufficient choice to
ensure their loyalty and their need to maintain a relationship with a
company that looks after their interests. Surely this is the reason that
ISP's are starting to bypass MelbIT and go straight to the InterNIC.

.au.com offers an Australian alternative to .com.au and .com, one which
retains an Australian identity, but is not a restrictive namespace.

---
Larry Bloch                              email:  larry&#167;netregistry.com.au
Chief Executive Officer                  Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
                                         Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808
NetRegistry Pty Limited

Domain House, 3 Hosking Street, Balmain, Sydney NSW 2041