Re: DNS: Problems with .com.au, .net.au .org.au approvals

From: Rodney Haywood <rodos§camion.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:42:25 +1100
I was able to get weighbridges.com.au a little while ago. Must say I was
quite suppried. Glad I just went for it. IMHO dart.com.au is a lot less
generic than weighbridges.com.au.

Lets go back to IP numbers, then we will have something else to complain
about instead <grin>.

Rodos

At 11:51 AM 29-01-98 +1100, you wrote:
>Hang on George
>
>I don't think that it is too much of an assumption at all. After all, if
>'dart' was seen as a generic sporting name, its domain would be
>'darts.com.au'.
>
>'dart' speaks to me of jumping rapidly to and fro - surely not a sport.
>
>Moreover, if MelbourneIT bend their rules (which we all know they do), they
>should be doing so to the advantage of the Internet industry, not
>frustrating it.
>
>All Internet companies essentially have the same goal - to grow the
>Internet in Australia - from this each of our niches grows. Frustrating
>situations like the one Dart are experiencing are not good for ALL Internet
>companies in Australia, because it detracts from the prime goal - to grow
>this industry.
>
>I personally support Dart's position. I think they should have every right
>to dart.com.au because it is not the generic name of a sport and therefore
>doesn't conflict with their rules.
>
>I also think that the rules themselves are very wrong. A generic or
>desirable name does not give an advantage of itself - its the content and
>marketing that exploit a desireable name.
>
>Location location location. Nobody restricts street locations a business
>can have if they are desireable. There may be differential pricing, but the
>location is essentially available.
>
>Over 90% of the Internet does not have these restrictions. Why should com.au?
>
>I should also mention that I have a vested interest in this issue, as
>NetRegistry is soon launching a National Domain Registry under .au.com with
>none of the restrictions MelbourneIT impose (apart from FCFS :-).
>
>Larry Bloch
>CEO
>

>At 09:04 29/01/98 +1000, you wrote:
>>
>>  As stated above had dart.com.au been accepted that would have been
that. As
>>  I had invested quit a lot of money into the venture prior to getting a
>>  domain name, ie: company formation etc. I needed to use dart.???.au
>>
>>Uh, lets re-state this.
>>
>>	You invested your (and possibly other peoples) money in a company
>>	with an *assumption* you would have a specific dns nameform, and
>>	had product, literature, advertizing and publically visible activity
>>	made with that name before you OWNED it?
>>
>>Gee. I don't think you can blame all of your problems on other people.
>>
>>Maybe the world needs a DNS FAQ #101 with some suggestions like
>>
>>	Your DNS name may not be what you initially apply for, or expect.
>>	If you make critical business assumptions about your online presence
>>	before legal ownership, caveat emptor applies.
>>
>>DNS in Australia has some problems, but not all problems are the fault of
DNS
>>management.
>>
>>-George
>>--
>>George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
>>Email: ggm&#167;dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072
>>Phone: +61 7 3365 4310    |  Australia
>>  Fax: +61 7 3365 4311    |  http://www.dstc.edu.au
>>
>---
>Larry Bloch                              email:  larry&#167;netregistry.com.au
>Chief Executive Officer                  Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
>                                         Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808
>NetRegistry Pty Limited

>Domain House, 3 Hosking Street, Balmain, Sydney NSW 2041

Rodney Haywood         Camion Technology Pty. Limited
rodos&#167;camion.com.au                A.C.N. 078 283 208
http://www.camion.com.au/         Ph : 61-2-9873 5105
    * Internet & Microsoft BackOffice consulting *