Re: DNS: SRS mechanism

From: Stephen Gillies <max§max.net.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:22:39 +1100
At 11:53 25/02/98 +1100, you wrote:

>>   | The implementation of the
>>   | policies so far, as other have commented before this, has meant
>>   | that even if you know the name (exactly) you won't necessarily
>>   | find the other information needed to make contact since there
>>   | are many public and private companies with trading names and
>>   | use either one or the other.
>>
>> No, that isn't the policies, that is the nature of the DNS.   It simply
>> is not designed to allow that kind of translation, never was, and never
>> will be.  To use the DNS you must know the domain name some other way.

> yes it is. and its not helped but forcing people to take names
> they are not happy with or cant even begin to be guessed at by
> people searching for them. and your explanations so far in no way justify
> the current rules.

 vic you're missing the point im afraid. the nature of the DNS is it
 will never be a system for finding a company on the internet and
 that's that. it. finito. listen to kre. he _knows_.

 even throwing the rules out the window and letting first come first
 served will not solve anything because there are companies called the
 same things in different industries. mcdonalds make warm burgers and
 fries but another macdonalds make aircraft.

 the rules are there to make the choice of domain name easier, not harder.
 is it too much to ask that the domain name for a company is made
 up of the name of that company?

 as for searching for names, isnt having a domain name a little like
 a street address? i mean, if I was selling hunting goods in Sydney, would
 I be justified in getting all upset about not being able to have
 my store on Hunter Street because all the shops in hunter street are
 taken by people who sell computer hardware, banking services and
 florists?

 Does Strathfield Car Radio only have stores in Strathfield? (does it have
 a store in strathfield at all?) It's your advertising which tells a customer
 where they can find you, whether that's on the internet, on the street
 or on the end of a telephone.

 If you want people to find your site without advertising it to them, then
 put your site into one of the hundreds of FREE search engines. Perhaps
 join a mall web site and test out those waters. Maybe some thought into
 a marketing plan might be in order as well.

 you mentioned competition in one of your other emails. This would of course
 be a good thing, I think everyone agrees to this. In fact from memory
 ADNA was set up so that we could get some competition into the .com.au
 domains. From my understanding any business is quite free to put their
 hand up as a registry body.

 Max.
 max&#167;max.net.au
 no matter how many times I dial 1800-BRING-ME-PIZZA they just never come.