Re: DNS: SRS mechanism

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 19:53:41 +1100

> as for searching for names, isnt having a domain name a little like
> a street address? i mean, if I was selling hunting goods in Sydney, would
> I be justified in getting all upset about not being able to have
> my store on Hunter Street because all the shops in hunter street are
> taken by people who sell computer hardware, banking services and
> florists?

Another corker.

We don't require IBM's address to be on IBM street. If domains are purely
addresses, why should that address be the same as their company name.

Your argument, Stephen, contradicts itself, because there are inherent
contraditions in the MelbourneIT rules.

Actually, street addreses are a good analogy. As a way to find a location,
their differences are irrelevant, other than image.

The only issue relevant to what domain a company has is image.

Companies are the best arbitrator of what their image should be. Let them
choose. If they're wrong - no one will take any notice of them or their
domain. The namespace stays sane through competitive influences.

---
Larry Bloch                              email:  larry&#167;netregistry.com.au
Chief Executive Officer                  Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
                                         Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808
NetRegistry Pty Limited
http://www.netregistry.com.au
Domain House, 3 Hosking Street, Balmain, Sydney NSW 2041