DNS: Companies ON Streets named after them == Domain Name??

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 02:13:42 +1100
>> as for searching for names, isnt having a domain name a little like
>> a street address? i mean, if I was selling hunting goods in Sydney, would
>> I be justified in getting all upset about not being able to have
>> my store on Hunter Street because all the shops in hunter street are
>> taken by people who sell computer hardware, banking services and
>> florists?
>>

>Another corker.

OH boy.  We really are cluching at straws.

>We don't require IBM's address to be on IBM street. If domains are purely
>addresses, why should that address be the same as their company name.

I don't recall IBM being on IBM Street in Sydney.  I'm sure it's Sussex
Street actually.  Tut Tut, better change their name :)

http://203.21.205.89

Works for me :)  But http://www.ah.net is a little easier to remember.

>Companies are the best arbitrator of what their image should be. Let them
>choose. If they're wrong - no one will take any notice of them or their
>domain. The namespace stays sane through competitive influences.

Irrespective of your last sentence, the rest is very true.

      The world operates 24 hours a day ... so do the servers.
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for
republication of comments, without written consent.
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convery Member
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net
						   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net
AU Root Server Confederation              http://aursc.ah.net
AU Internet News  mailto:internet-request&#167;ah.net  with "subscribe"