Re: DNS: ADNA Board meetings

From: Deus Ex Machina <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 11:34:27 +1100 (EST)
>_From: Luke Carruthers
>
> >> No - this is a Board meeting of ADNA's directors, not a general meeting. As
> >> in the past, observers will be invited from ISOC-AU, AVCC, ACCC and DoCA.
> >
> >I suggest you also call a public meeting.
>
> There are often public meetings on specific issues, the most recent being
> in December regarding the introduction of a new namespace.  What did you
> have in mind as the objectives of a public meeting?

name space policy reform.
the move towards competition is clearly a step in the right direction.
however this list doesnt seem to ellicite much debate, many serious
questions I have asked go unanswered.

matter of dns are matters of public interest, and I find it
disturbing that any body in australia is making policy
decisions on dns behind closed doors.

having said that perticular issues that I beleive need to be addressed
in a public forum are

serious allegations of misshandling in the .org.au names have been raised
by others on this list and the oz-isp list and ignored by the adminstrator.
public discussion of suitable standards for registrars is called for.

I have raised concerns regarding the "white australia" dns policy with .com.au,
these should be addressed with public input. so far not a single reply.

a registrar should be value adding to justify charging for its services.
to describe  the "any colour so long as its black" .com.au policy as
value adding is doublespeak. restrictions of choice are value subtracting
in any ones language. there clearly is an issue regarding the value
of the "add" that .com.au registrars should be providing. this should
be addressed in a public forum.

a client of mine was force to when applying for a .edu.au domain to
accept a .nsw.edu.au. domain this seems to be directly opposite t
the .com.au policy which specifically bans regional domain names. given
the .au adminstrator has stated that new registrars in his opinion must
adhere to his policy.  there needs some public clarificiation as to why
certain registrars are currently exempt. We can call this the ban
on "green domains" within the .com.au name space. clearly the issue of
"green domains" needs public discussion.

personally I wish to discuss face to face with the policy keepers the rejection
of a clients application for dart.com.au (Dart Internet p/l). client has
stipulated that darti.com.au di.com.au dinternet.com.au are unacceptable.
and dartinternet.com.au for an internet address is a farce. I wish
to begin proceedings to overthrow MITs rejection.

finally I have been informed, correct me if this is wrong that MIT is sitting
on a surplus of AUD3m. this money could be well spent in certain not-for-profit
projects/ideas I have in improving the dns system in australia. this would
be a welcome use for the money by (again correct me if I am wrong) government
owned organsition for the good of the public. obviously these issues
are best discusssed in a public forum.

Vic