Re: DNS: SRS mechanism

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 00:39:47 +1100
>I certainly don't think so.
>
>IMHO it is easier to explain that your domain name must be derived from
>your organisation name than it is to explain that some random person or
>rival organisation has decided to use your organisation's name as their
>domain name, because they thought it sounded kool or because they wanted
>to extort money out of you.

I tend to agree with this, but there is nothing to stop me from registering
'cyber.com.au' as a Trade mark (unless you already have) because the TM
process takes precedence over the Corporations Act.

>I imagine it would also tend to reduce the amount of legal action by
>taking a pro-active stance to keep the number of domain name conflicts
>to a minimum before they happen, rather than having to do this reactively
>when its too late.

In theory.  This will be tested shortly :)  It also could be the grounds
for a legal challenge.

>(That is, assuming the policies are applied fairly/equally.)

And when is policy applied fairly :)

>]  as for searching for names, isnt having a domain name a little like
>]  a street address?
>
>Interesting semi-analogy.  Do we say that the postal address space is
>over-regulated because I am forced to share most of my postal address
>with my next-door neighbours?

Oh back to this again .... you guys shoudl read the DOMAIN POLICY archives
then come back here.  We spent two years going through this.  Why reinvent
the weel?

In fact buy a copy of the DOMAIN NAME HANDBOOK by Ellen Rony, it's
certainly worth reading - even if only for the Acknoledgement specially to
me :)

      The world operates 24 hours a day ... so do the servers.
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for
republication of comments, without written consent.
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convery Member
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net
						   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net
AU Root Server Confederation              http://aursc.ah.net
AU Internet News  mailto:internet-request&#167;ah.net  with "subscribe"