Re: DNS: Re: Top ten issues for EC Summit in Canberra

From: Luke Carruthers <luke§magna.com.au>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 14:40:54 +1000
>Ok, so what happened to ADNA considering the creation of ".biz.au", which
>Michael Malone and I co-proposed multiple times, beginning prior to the
>formal creation of ADNA? We even offered to co-fund software which would
>provide for effective competition in that name space and provide to to any
>future registrars in that space (your "SRS" software, for free!). Deafening
>silence on  that one.... I guess it wasn't as much fun as trademark spaces
>seem to be? Fun for whom? I'm not sure on that one.

As a quick comment, biz.au was put aside at the request of the instigators
(Michael Malone and Simon Hackett) at the beginning of the ADNA process,
when it looked like we would be able to introduce competition into com.au
reasonably quickly, as they indicated that while they had intended this as
a way of providing competition, they would prefer that this happened
directly within com.au if possible.  From memory, this took place at the
last public DNS forum, at which ADNA was convened, though I haven't checked
the minutes to confirm this.  As ADNA currently works, if it was desired to
revisit this, public comment could be actively sought upon this (or a
revised) proposal.

Regards,

Luke Carruthers
Acting Chair