Re: DNS: ADNA's mandate for pr.au?

From: Deus Ex Machina <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 16:17:49 +1000 (EST)
>_From: Kate Lance
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> I've waited till now to answer this, because I'm still staggered at
> what you've written below.  You've publically stated that ADNA
> compromised the community consultation aspect of industry
> self-regulation, because you all knew better than the people you
> purported to consult.

well this is the story of dns in australia, the people involved,
seem to think they know what everyone should have, how the end user
should be shoehorned into the dns. and no amount
of handwaiving or pointing the bitter reality that they are plain wrong
seems to penetrate into the cortex.

the facts are that there are no good arguments from any technical
basis for the current totalitarian determinations of what is a valid
domain name. what we see are misguided paranoias without any supporting
quantifications or precedents, being used as driving forces behind current
policy.

on the contrary the fact .net.au has been able to survive without
the anticipated legal onslaughts feared to occur in the  commercial dns
domain is proof that the underlying assumptions under which .com.au is
shackled are plain WRONG.

> This is what is wrong with ADNA!  You haven't the faintest concept that
> what you did was wrong.  All industry self-regulation seems to mean to
> you is jargon to use to push through your own agendas.

seems the word accountability is too generic to used in the .au dns universe.

Vic