DNS: Get ISOC-AU Involved (was Mailing-list white noise)

From: James Austin <jea§rainer-group.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:44:53 +1000
-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Baxter <steve&#167;senet.com.au>
To: dns&#167;iia.net.au <dns§iia.net.au>
Date: Friday, 3 April 1998 9:22

>>  It was actually a question put by myself that finally tiped Mr Baxter
out.

>Oh wait a minute - james austin(your real name) - why get around with a
>different name ?

Just trying something diffrent, James Austin  (My real name) will be used
from now on. K.

>For the record the reasons I gave for resigning were work related, the
>only effort I had made to contributing towrd ADNA since its inception were
>frantic attempts to catch p before the meeting - boards should be made of
>doers, people who are willing to gets their hands dirty. I had no time to
>give.

Fine.

>I aslo gave the reason that I have had a gutful of DNS. What is wrong
>with .au ? MIT gets domains done in less than 7 days ussually. If you can
>read and comprehend their (kre's) rules you will most likely get first
>time approval.  If you get constant rejections - reread their rules and
>try to understand them (or tell your customer to get real).
>Once MIT start taking more than 10 ten days to approve names then I will
>start to get active again.

Also Fine.

>Running an ISP and (shock horor !) making money for me and my employees
>was ,and is, still taking far too much of my time. I feel that devoting
>more time to our local Internet Association is time better spent. At least
>ever thing that you do does not come under some pathetic spotlight of
>small minded people.

I really hope you do well, as I do all ISP, as the ones who RIPoff the
public give us all a bad name. But it is the same in ALL industries.

>If you want a reasonable outcome that actually works for the Australian
>Internet community then you need to involve the people who will have to
>run it. Pipe dreams of getting fish mongers, policemen and street bums to
>give input are as crazy as ever.

Agreed.

>ADNA WAS the only chance for the Australian communtiy to have some say in
>the running .au. Noisy time wasters hijacked the debate. If ADNA fails
>what will you all do, continue to winge and bitch on a mailling list that
>things just are not fair. Get real - get behind ADNA or make something
>that is better. Remember the DNS forums (I notice the noisy one never
>attended them) - ADNA was formed from those meetings. Get your public
>support - but be careful because there are lots of people willing to shout
>from the sidelines but NEVER actually have the guts to give things a go
>themselves.

But the public are yet to be directly invited to the (Closed door meetings)
of ADNA.

>As for critisim of ADNA - well that is easy. Why not try to help it
>instead.

I would like to help, but my involvement would be a direct conflict of
interest as I will be putting together a proposal to become a DNA when the
time arises.

>I notice the message from Kate from asking people to filter noise - I did
>and have enjoyed the peace ever since resigning - has he been as annoying
>as usual.

Filtering the so called noise is fine. But what if the noise maker has
something constructive to say and you miss it. A better approach is to read
the first few lines to see if it is important, then trash it. But as is the
case in this world each to their own.

>>  He claims he resigned due to lack of time, and this may be the case in
any
>>  case he is gone and someone will fill his place, Maybe you Kate?
>
>That would be really good to get ISOC-AU on the board or just as members -
>it would mean that all of the energy that ISOC has could be directed
>toward helping as opposed to giving more ammo to the time wasters !

I agree it would be great to have ICOC-AU involved how can this best be
achieved?

Kate, any ideas?

James Austin

int
Contact_Details(void)
{
    static char Company_Name[] = { "Rainer Group Pty. Ltd." };
    static char Address1[]           = { "PO Box 863" };
    static char Address2[]           = { "BAULKHAM HILLS NSW 2153" };
    static long int Phone              =    98941985;
    static long int Fax                  =    98941986;
    static char E-Mail[]                = { "james&#167;rainer-group.com" };
    static char WWW[]                = { "http://www.rainer-group.com" };
    static long int ICQ                 =    9479720;
    return (0);
}