Re: DNS: Issues relating to .pr.au

From: <vicc§cia.net.au>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 00:17:30 +1000 (EST)
>_From: Malcolm Miles
>
> On Tue, 5 May 1998 14:29:25 +1000, you wrote:
>
> >A) Is this the same question as a Free-for-all 2ld ?
> >
> >> 3. Should we create a new 2ld for first come first served instead?
> >
> >Not necessarily. I think they should all be first come first served, but=
> >think there should be some domain space for the Internet community =
> members
> >that want their own without having a company.=20
>
> This is definitely needed. Currently unless you are in business or are
> a recognised organization you can't get a domain name.

which as I have pointed out has killed the market for australia as a
destination for web hosting. given the olympics are comming, whoever ends up
in control of the policy needs to seriously examine its impact. why host in australia
when you cant get a bloody domain here. then we all complain about lack of
local content.

currently the policy seems to be justified on the grounds that it keeps the registrars
out of court, I dont think that is really going to stand up given competition.
it has to go, or policy free 2lds need to come into existance.

Vic