Re: DNS: Issues relating to .pr.au

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 13:36:25 +1000
Vic, this makes no sense.

There is no reason why a website can't be hosted in australia using a .com
that has been delegated to a local ISP.

In fact the name servers could be run out of the USA and the sitre hosted
locally.

There is *absolutely no* reason why name services and hosting services and
for that matter email services need even be in the same country.

Larry

At 00:17 6/05/98 +1000, you wrote:
>>_From: Malcolm Miles
>>
>> On Tue, 5 May 1998 14:29:25 +1000, you wrote:
>>
>> >A) Is this the same question as a Free-for-all 2ld ?

>> >Not necessarily. I think they should all be first come first served, but=
>> >think there should be some domain space for the Internet community =
>> members
>> >that want their own without having a company.=20
>>
>> This is definitely needed. Currently unless you are in business or are
>> a recognised organization you can't get a domain name.
>
>which as I have pointed out has killed the market for australia as a
>destination for web hosting. given the olympics are comming, whoever ends up
>in control of the policy needs to seriously examine its impact. why host
in australia
>when you cant get a bloody domain here. then we all complain about lack of
>local content.
>
>currently the policy seems to be justified on the grounds that it keeps
the registrars
>out of court, I dont think that is really going to stand up given
competition.
>it has to go, or policy free 2lds need to come into existance.
>
>Vic

Larry Bloch                   email:  larry&#167;netregistry.au.com
Chief Executive Officer       Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
                              Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808
NetRegistry Pty Limited

http://www.netregistry.au.com
Domain House, 3 Hosking Street, Balmain, Sydney NSW 2041