Re: DNS: Issues relating to .pr.au

From: Kim Davies <kim§gospel.iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 12:07:05 +0800
Quoting Larry Bloch:
| There may be a point that is being missed here.
|
| People buying domain names don't WANT id.au, pr.au, or even really .net.au
| in any large numbers.
|
| They want .com.au

I don't think people "want" com.au, its because they can "get" com.au -
because of these people that buy domains are actually from registered
commercial organisations.

Less people get id.au, net.au, asn.au because these classes of users
(Individuals, Net Providers, Associations) are generally smaller
and/or have less need for domain names (i.e. are happy to subsist
under an Internet provider's domain)

If more than a handful of individuals actually had a need for their own
domain name, I wouldn't mind betting id.au would be a lot bigger!

kim