Re: DNS: Issues relating to .pr.au

From: Malcolm Miles <mgm§tardis.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 13:33:18 GMT
>mgm&#167;tardis.net said:
>  | This is definitely needed. Currently unless you are in business or are
>  | a recognised organization you can't get a domain name.
>
>Have you not heard of id.au, which has the purpose of handling exactly
>all that which is left over (basically individuals and families).

I have heard of id.au but I am not requiring a domain name as an
individual. I am the sysop of one of the longer running BBS systems
and am now offering Internet access to my regular BBS users. This is
not a business or formal organisation therefore I am ineligible for a
com.au or a org.au domain name. I was going for a net.au but the
policy was recently changed to also require a business or company
name.

The general feeling on this list when I brought this issue up some
months ago was that there was no home for me in the Australian domain
system and I should go and grab a .net address, which I did.

mgm