DNS: PIZZA.TM?

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 13:20:10 +1000
All is NOT smooth sailing in the global DNS world of cross country sales of
Domain Names!

>Date:         Tue, 12 May 1998 11:55:07 -0800
>From: Ellen Rony <erony&#167;MARIN.K12.CA.US>
>Subject:      PIZZA.TM?
>
>NetNames has run into a censorship snag in .tm.
>
>From: The Trouble with Tiny Domains by Jennifer Sullivan (Wired - May 11)
>http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/12226.html
>
>[snip]
>After registering some 4,176 domains, according to registrar NetNames, the
>company ran into some trouble with the Turkmenistan government over some
>domain names that were legally obscene in Turkmenistan.
>
>"Some of [the names] have been found to be offensive," said Robert Hibbitt,
>sales manager at NetNames, which was the technical contact for the country.
>"They raised eyebrows at pizza.tm and girls.tm."
>
>Hibbitt said that the .tm registration is currently on hold pending a new
>content policy, which might include a committee that approves the names to
>be registered. The .tm registration Web site is now inactive, except for a
>vague note on the site.
>[snip]
>_________________
>
>[Note: Pizza.tm?  Girls.tm?  One can only wonder what the TM government
>would think about some of the eye-popping, jaw-dropping domain names found
>in InterNIC's WHOIS.]
>
>Here's the statement posted at nic.tm:
>
>Statement from the .TM NIC
>
>                The response to the .TM registry has been overwhelming.
>                Thousands of names have been registered from all over the
>                world.
>                Some of the names registered, however, may be legally obscene
>                in Turkmenistan, and as a result the .TMNIC registry is
>                reviewing its naming policy for future registrations.
>                The .TMNIC has suspended registrations until a new policy
>                can be implemented. We hope to be up again soon.

THE DOMAIN NAME HANDBOOK                   http://www.domainhandbook.com
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for
republication of comments, without written consent.
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convey Member			  AURSC    http://www.aursc.ah.net
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net
at&#167;aus  or  at@ah.net				   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net