Re: DNS: Answer to Vic Cinc's burning question

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 01:45:03 +1000
>> If people can't get COM.AU they can surely get COM.AUS - and cheaper (now.)
>
>Adam,
>
>Could you tell me if any of the following are available, adn the price:
>
>toyota.com.aus
>mcdonalds.com.aus
>sydney.com.aus
>2000olympics.com.aus

Yes to most.  Surely you can check for yourself?

Most being trademarks or recognised names, would require the owner to
actually register the name, unless it's clear the names are not to be used
for something that confuses the known name.

You can have Toyota as long as you don't cause confusion to the consumer
with the Toyota companies and it's subsidiaries.

You can't have 2000olympics as it's contains the word Olympics, you should
now that anyway.  You will need permission from the IOC to obtain that name.

mcdonalds is also a famous name, as long as you are a franchise licencee or
provide a statement that you will not use the name for any of the McDonalds
subsidaries (Hambers, McDonalds house, etc) then you can apply for it.

Sydney is available, surprisingly.  The policy, allows registraion of a
place name, although there is a priviso that the name will be used to
promote the place for all business in the place.

As to price. Depends on the reseller.  I can't sell directly to you.

You can currently purchase through Direct Innovations in Sydney or apply to
be a registrar yourself.

THE DOMAIN NAME HANDBOOK                   http://www.domainhandbook.com
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for
republication of comments, without written consent.
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convey Member			  AURSC    http://www.aursc.ah.net
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net
at&#167;aus  or  at@ah.net				   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net