Re: DNS: Prospective new domains (tm.au) & (pr.au)

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 18:11:53 +1000 (EST)
] Peter Gerrand wrote:
]
] > >If we assume that Melbourne IT is correct in not allowing certain
] > tradenames under .com.au
] > [not quite right; we can register them under current policies if the TM
] > also coincides with a subset of the applicant's ACN or RBN - and it is not
] > already allocated]
]
] Quick question, Peter.
] Can I register a domain in .com.au without having an ACN or RBN?

What do you mean by "I"?
Only businesses can register domains in com.au.
That might sound obvious, but it isn't.  And its important to understand.

For example when the business is a company, natural persons can only be
involved to the extent that they are an agent of the business or doing
something on behalf of the business.

A natural person cannot register themself a domain in com.au.
A product cannot register itself a domain in com.au.
Only companies or similar businesses can register domains in com.au.

If you understand this, registering domains becomes a lot easier
(or understanding why they were rejected).
 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management