Re: DNS: Prospective new domains (tm.au) & (pr.au)

From: Richard Archer <rha§interdomain.net.au>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 18:57:46 +1000
At 18:11 +1000 18/5/98, David Keegel wrote:

>A natural person cannot register themself a domain in com.au.
>A product cannot register itself a domain in com.au.
>Only companies or similar businesses can register domains in com.au.

But surely I can register the domain name 'RichardArcher.com.au', as I
trade under my personal name? This is accepted by the ASC, state business
names departments and even the ATO. This is not immediately obvious from
the MelbourneIT General Policy.

However I wouldn't expect to be able to register the name
'funkywidget.com.au' even if I sell Funky Widgets(tm) unless I traded under
a registered business name like 'Funky Widgets R Us'.

 ...Richard.