Re: DNS: [Oz-ISP] Social Engineering and 2LDs]

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 19:07:47 +1000
>Thanks for your clarification that you will, in all likelyhood,
>redelegate. Would you care to put forward an opinion about:
>
>o registrars that won't redelegate and who don't caution their
>  clients about this whilst at the same time promoting their
>  domain as a viable alternative to com.au (and aus.com) etc.

The public should be advised in a good industry supported advertising
campaign.

>o whether this is significant enough of an issue, given the
>  concerns I've put forward in my last and my original posting

Yes. It's VERY significant.

>  (viz excluding my foolish retort to Adam), to justify some kind

Yes, very foolish.

>  of imposed standard or code of conduct.

Ahh, slowly it progresses. I'm happy to revise such a suggestion.  It forms
part of the Telecommunications Act anyway, so we might as well get in
before the Government does.

>I believe with conviction, that this is a consumer concern of
>significant and increasing proportions. It has a consumer

Great, so lets see if the ACCC will also participate with our Industry Effort?

>dimension and a relevance to the interests of competing isps who
>'do the right thing'. It also has relevance to the way services
>are marketed.

No one does the "Right thing", I can assure you.  Shame I can't yet provide
you with details, but they will be known soon enough.

>Again, apologies for the possible tarring of your good name. In

Wish Rick would make his appology, shows you are a better person.

>hindsight, you might appreciate how easy it is to be 'tarred with
>the same brush' as a potentially less honest operator (not
>implying aust.com).

I of all people are well aware of how easy it is to be tarred with the
brush that isn't comparable to another operator.

>I have to say that posting to this list is like walking a
>tightrope.

It gets better.

Adam Todd               mailto:at&#167;ah.net   mailto:at§aus
http://adamtodd.ah.net  http://www.ah.net  http://www.aursc.ah.net
http://www.ah.net/lists/lwgate