Re: DNS: DNS Governance

From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1§ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 13:32:50 +0100
Tony,

Tony Barry wrote:

> Jeff
>
> >  You know Rick that both systems can be recognized at the same time.
> >I hope that is not too difficult a concept for you.
>
> But surely only if the present root server refers upwards to the alternate
> system?

  Actualy, no.  There are several ways in which this can be achieved where
an Root server can refer to any other Name server or Root server.  This
is the simplist method and most effective.  We developed and tested this
for some 8 months without even the IANA noticing it's existance "Officialy"
for that period.  Anyone could resolve ant TLD that we had entered weather
or not they specified vi IP in their Primary or secondary specification in
ther Login software the three TLD's that we had entered on that Root
server.

> Then it just become  a branch on a new tree. Otherwise the lower
> nodes must point elsewere which it would be wishful thinking on your part
> to hope for in view of the installed base.

  See above.  Incorrect.

> If that is the case then the same thing can be done again, and again , and ...

  Well yes, but the results on resolution of alternitive TLD's will be seen by
all whom are on the internet.  Rather than as you contend as only one branch of
a diffrent tree.

> Tony

> mailto:tonyb&#167;netinfo.com.au | mailto:tony§Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
> http://purl.oclc.org/NET/Tony.Barry
> Phone +61 4-1242-0397 or in Australia 041 242-0397
> Ningaui Pty Ltd, GPO Box 1680, Canberra, ACT 2601
> Convenor of the link network policy list link&#167;www.anu.edu.au

 Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.