DNS: Funny. The White Paper confirms most speculations!

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 1998 21:36:08 +1000
I made some comments a few weeks back about the new IANA Inc and what it's
responsibilites might include.

Well it appears that, although I was harrassed and bagged for saying many
of the things, you shoudl be aware of the following:

 - IP addresses and Domain Names WILL BE managed by the new organisation.
   This could involve organisaiotns like APNIC actually PAYING for
   management and allocation to the US Organisation.

 - A suggestion that seperate NAME and NUMBER councils be established to
   ensure some kind of speration.  The recommendations would then be sent
   to the board of directors.

 - The Whitepaper clearing indicates that NO GOVERNMENT BODY, or international
   organisation (UN, ITU etc) will be significant in the new Corporation.
   However it does clearly indicate that National Governments can and should
   take full responsibility for the administration and management of their
   allocated ccTLD.

 - The new corporation will be headed in the USA, only because there are
   "significantly more DNS expertise in the United States."

 - The Green Paper proposed a 15-member Board, consisting of three
   representatives of regional number registries, two members designated
   by the Internet Architecture Board (IAB), two members representing
   domain name registries and domain name registrars, seven members
   representing Internet users, and the Chief Executive Officer of the
   new corporation.   The recommendation is that the "two User Seats" be used
   "thoughtfully" to represent all the other people in the world, including
   the countries connected to the Internet.  (Who are you going to vote for?)

 - The UGS will not impliment any new gTLD's.  (This is no surprise.)

 - Funding will come from Regional Registries (.AU is a regional Registry
   be definition of the White Paper) and Number Assignment ORgs (APNIC)

 - IANA staff will make the transition to the new Corporation.  (Guess
   this means we'll need to start paying these people wages.  What $5
   a name or address block per year?  Maybe more??)

There is a little more, to do with Trade Mark owners and disputes, but
overall certainly no real surpises.  Most of my speculations were on the
mark.  Even the Interim Board Members and it's "Term Period" was pretty close.

I certainly wasn't wrong about IANA being turned into the new Corp (Sorry
David, Fleming was also on the mark here.

If anyone has any questions regarding this, please respond to me IN PRIVATE
by email to mailto:dns&#167;ah.net , if you would like to read the Whitepaper
itself, I can forward the URL, although there are plenty of news worthy
reports as listed below: