DNS: Door Number 1, 2, or 3 ?

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming§unety.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:10:44 -0500
On Thursday, June 11, 1998 7:14 PM, Craig Simon[SMTP:cls&#167;flywheel.com] wrote:
&#167;I'm not sure I'll be able to afford to attend, but I was able to get
&#167;myself added to the participant list pretty easily, which I take as a
&#167;reasonably good indication that the GIAW is open. If I can get in then
&#167;I'm sure you others can.
&#167;

The number of casual observers to the domain name debates
is clearly growing. There are now at least three directions that
these people can head, plus several other forums and lists that
have been around for years.

	1. IANA (New) - http://www.iana.org
	2. ITU/ISOC/IAHC/PAB/POC/CORE - http://www.gtld-mou.org
	3. Network Solutions, Inc. - http://www.giaw.org

I suggest that people get behind the people forming the new IANA (#1 above)
and take the following steps:

	A. Join the recently re-opened "newdom" mailing list for an open
		discussion on how to bring the serious stakeholders together
		ONLINE, via the Internet.
		Send a "subscribe" message body to majordomo&#167;ar.com.
	B. Help the current IANA "staff" incorporate as a non-profit company.
	C. Launch the new IANA with a 15 person board appointed as follows:
		3 - http://www.iana.org and "newdom" discussions
		3 - http://www.gtld-mou.org and mail lists
		3 - http://www.giaw.org meeting in July and open-rsc lists
		3 - http://www.ripe.net dns & tld working groups
		3 - APNIC & Australian DNS discussions dns&#167;iia.net.au
	D. Deploy a NEW robust collection of RFC 2010 Root Name Servers
	E. Delegate .US, .COM, .NET and .ORG to the legacy NSI servers
	F. Deploy THREE new TLDs from the CORE choices for Switzerland (.CH)
	G. Allow ALL other existing country code TLD registries to select 3 more TLDs
	H. Select a 16 person IANA Inc. Advisory Committee by Choosing 2
		people from each of the IPv8 regions shown here:
		http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

This proposal should be easy for people following #2 to adopt. In
my opinion, it will be the shortest path to introducing new TLDs
to the general public. The 80+ CORE Registrars should be able
to compete in the OPEN market place against the people that are
trying to organize #3 above, behind closed doors in Washington, D.C.
In my opinion, those people should be asked to supply 3 board
members to the new IANA Inc. which should be well on its way to
incorporation by July 4, 1998.

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
1998 - The Year of the C+&#167;