Re: DNS: perhaps suspect trading practise

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:26:58 +1000
At 12:22 18/06/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Stephen Baxter wrote:
>To conclude:
>
>com.au
>
>Domains in com.au WILL be redelegated to
>any host required and remain the legal
>property of the domain holder.
>

>At the risk of repeating the bleedin' obvious:
>
>(*) au.com, aus.com and aust.com could lapse anytime
>    due to nonpayment; all their 3LD's lose in that case

Get a grip, man. You are talking about non-payment of US$35 on a service
that is currently worth about $100K per annum. Does anyone really believe
we are so incompetant that we can't even manage to pay US$35 to Internic
which is in fact part of our core business?

>(*) and administrator of au.com, aus.com and aust.com can
>    easily withdraw a 3LD, or refuse one based on personal
>    or political grounds and the applicant has no recourse;
>    this is NOT the case with *.au domains

As administrator of .au.com, why would we do this other than if they
contravened our Terms and Conditions (eg: trademark infringement)

>(*) *.au domains will go on forever ... they are THE sanctified
>    TLD's in Australia

Not sure they are sanctified - you may have to get clarification from the
church for that statement.

And actually I would refute that last statement in its intent. Australian
businesses are missing out on a global bonanza by not adopting the global
standard of .com for companies trading internationally.

Having spent 4 years in the European domain registration industry I can
assure you that almost half of all European registrations are in .com,
unlike Australia which is probably closer to 20%.  Internationally,
consumers do not on the whole buy from websites with country code endings
(unless it is their country).

Ask yourself this question: how many times have YOU bought from a website
that has a country code other than .au?

> _/  Richard Welykochy                 mailto:rick&#167;dot.net.au

Larry Bloch
Chief Executive Officer
NetRegistry Pty Limited
email:  larry&#167;netregistry.au.com
Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808

http://www.netregistry.au.com
Domain House, PO Box 2088, Sydney, NSW 1043