Re: DNS: perhaps suspect trading practise

From: Clive <clive§ina.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 19:01:25 +1000
Larry <br>
Where is your sense of responsibility. You make some of the most sweeping
statements that are close to the line of being false and misleading . For
example:&nbsp; <br>
1. &quot;...Not sure they are sanctified - you may have to get
clarification from the church for that statement.....&quot; <br>
 &quot;..... Australian businesses are missing out on a global bonanza by
not adopting the global standard of .com for companies trading
internationally. .....&quot;<br>
In both your statements you are completely undermining the .au space. You
are intent on diminishing its value. You are undervaluing the development
of the Australian Internet presence. And you certainly sound unpatriotic
about the efforts of Australian Organisations and the Australian
government in wanting to develop the .au space. I guess if you have only
been in this country for 10 minuets we cannot expect any better. <br>
I trust you are NOT telling decent Australian businesses any of the
above.<br>
3. &quot;..... Internationally, consumers do not on the whole buy from
websites with country code endings unless it is their
country).....&quot;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; .......Ask yourself this question: how many
times have YOU bought from a website that has a country code other than
.au?...<br>
You again show a propensity to shape the facts to suit your purpose. The
.com space is by and large a US space. Australia as a nation is yet to
catch up to the US with respect to doing business on line but it is
catching up. <br>
People buy from one another not because they have a .com domain name.
They buy because the other party has a product or service that they want
and at the right price.&nbsp; The US players are 12 to 18 months ahead of
the game with respect to selling products via the net and this is the
only reason why they are snaring a large part&nbsp; of the ecommerce
business in the first instance. <br>
We know of 100^Òs of&nbsp; small to medium Australian businesses&nbsp;
with a com.au name that have done very well on the net where 60% or
more&nbsp; of their business has come from outside of Australia. NONE of
the com.au business that are trading on the net have been hampered
because they have a .au rather than a .com name. <br>
Your European experience has certainly meant that you have yet to
discover the Asian markets of which Australia is seen as a vital player
and where the .au does have some meaning and relevance.<br>
If this is an example of your sales pitch to Australian consumers then
you are contributing to the confusion and truly misleading them.<br>
I believe that the bulk of the Australian Internet community, Australian
Businesses and the various Australian government agencies want to develop
the .au space and see that as a good thing for Australia.&nbsp; I trust
that you will also become committed to this vision.<br>
Clive Flory<br>
Internet Names Australia<br>
At 05:26 PM 6/18/98 +1000, you wrote:<br>
&gt;At 12:22 18/06/98 +1000, you wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;Stephen Baxter wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;To conclude:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;com.au<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;Domains in com.au WILL be redelegated to<br>
&gt;&gt;any host required and remain the legal<br>
&gt;&gt;property of the domain holder.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;At the risk of repeating the bleedin' obvious:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;(*) au.com, aus.com and aust.com could lapse anytime<br>
&gt;&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; due to nonpayment; all their 3LD's lose in
that case<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Get a grip, man. You are talking about non-payment of US$35 on a
service<br>
&gt;that is currently worth about $100K per annum. Does anyone really
believe<br>
&gt;we are so incompetant that we can't even manage to pay US$35 to
Internic<br>
&gt;which is in fact part of our core business?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;(*) and administrator of au.com, aus.com and aust.com can<br>
&gt;&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; easily withdraw a 3LD, or refuse one based on
personal<br>
&gt;&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; or political grounds and the applicant has no
recourse;<br>
&gt;&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; this is NOT the case with *.au domains<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;As administrator of .au.com, why would we do this other than if
they<br>
&gt;contravened our Terms and Conditions (eg: trademark
infringement)<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;(*) *.au domains will go on forever ... they are THE
sanctified<br>
&gt;&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; TLD's in Australia<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Not sure they are sanctified - you may have to get clarification from
the<br>
&gt;church for that statement.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;And actually I would refute that last statement in its intent.
Australian<br>
&gt;businesses are missing out on a global bonanza by not adopting the
global<br>
&gt;standard of .com for companies trading internationally. <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Having spent 4 years in the European domain registration industry I
can<br>
&gt;assure you that almost half of all European registrations are in
.com,<br>
&gt;unlike Australia which is probably closer to 20%.&nbsp;
Internationally,<br>
&gt;consumers do not on the whole buy from websites with country code
endings<br>
&gt;(unless it is their country).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Ask yourself this question: how many times have YOU bought from a
website<br>
&gt;that has a country code other than .au?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;==================================================================<br>
&gt;&gt; _/&nbsp; Richard
Welykochy&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&gt;&gt;==================================================================<br>
&gt;&gt; <br>
&gt;_____________________________________________<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Larry
Bloch&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&gt;Chief Executive Officer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>
&gt;NetRegistry Pty Limited&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>
&gt;email:&nbsp; larry&#167;netregistry.au.com<br>
&gt;Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299<br>
&gt;Fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +61-(0)2-9555 5808<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Domain House, PO Box 2088, Sydney, NSW 1043<br>
&gt; </html>