Re: DNS: defining "AURSC" domains

From: tom minchin <tom§interact.net.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 08:46:17 +1000
On Sun, Jun 21, 1998 at 12:52:52PM +1000, Adam Todd wrote:
> A DNS server itself can, by using the /etc/resolve.conf file use another
> DNS server to gain it's answers and thus not be a forwarder, caching server
> or anything else.

Are you sure about this? I know named will load in /etc/resolv.conf on
boot (presumeable for resolution prior to named reaching operational
level). From a brief look at the code and a test, resolv.conf played
no part in resolving by named. Unless of course you are thinking about
the host, dig and nslookup utilities which would make use of it - but
Kim's survey wouldn't be using those on the target machine.

Perhaps in the public interest of expanding the pitiful education of
the Australian ISP mind you could provide us with some pointers to
the line numbers in the bind source code. (cue joke about 4 figure
invoices).

> You again, show your extremely limited understanding of DNS servers.
>
> You will find that my DNS servers, alone work in this fashion where data is
> served from a set of servers, but clients use another set for caching.
>
> Kim, thanks for showing yet again how abismally educated the average
> Australian ISP is.

Well, if the above statement turns out to be true, pot kettle black.

tom&#167;interact.net.au