RE: DNS: defining "AURSC" domains

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming§unety.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 06:57:36 -0500
On Sunday, June 21, 1998 5:48 AM, Jean-Christophe Praud[SMTP:jc.praud&#167;ludexpress.com] wrote:
<snip>
&#167;
&#167;Anyway, with more root servers sharing the load, and BETTER located thru
&#167;the world, all internet users should benefit from new RSCs.
&#167;

I agree. Also, with the Grass Root Server (GRS) approach, some
ISPs load the root zone information directly into their machines
via their own files. This allows their name servers to avoid the
communication with the legacy Root Server Confederation.

Over the past few years, a certain amount of load has been taken
off of the legacy Root Servers. If someone passed a law and forced
all ISPs to once again use the legacy Root Servers it would be
interesting to see the change in traffic. We are all benefiting from
the advancements that have been slowly made away from the
legacy Root Servers.

One of the problems with the GRS approach is that ISPs have to
keep their own root zone up to date. This can be easily automated
by pulling the entire root zone file from the InterNIC. In the IPv8
approach, we are working to automate this via the "soft root". In
that approach, we can go out to the 8 regions (G0-G7) and query
the DNS to find out what TLDs are active. When doing that we
can pick up their TLD Name Server information to dynamically
build the equivalent of the root zone file. Various people around the
world are working on the software to do this. This should make
life easier for ISPs that want everything to run on auto-pilot.

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com
1998 - The Year of the C+&#167;