Re: DNS: Let Kim Speak...

From: Ramin Marzbani <ramin§consultco.com.au>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 18:58:55 +1000
Jim Fleming wrote:

> This is not about winning...we are all already winners...we are
> on planet Earth and we are blessed with technology that allows
> us to communicate around the world and around the clock...do
> you have any idea what it was like 20 years ago when some of
> us were trying to do this without PCs and freely available UNIX
> systems...just getting a C compiler ported to a new processor
> was a big effort...

Couldnt agree more (not just because of the compilers).

> Back to the topics that you are interested in...
>

> Can web-o-matic techniques be used on it to deduce
> who is strongly connected to who...?

I know this is a Q to Kim, but...
A guy called Hankin Chick developed this massive traceroute
analyser that maps the connectivity of ISPs to each other.
The problem was that it was hard to show in 2-D (although
he managed) and even harder to see in 3-D.  I think most ISPs
remember his pages (he used to get into trouble for reporting
average Ping times from the US).
Has anyone got any ideas on how to show 634-odd ISPs interconnecting,
especially with the multi-homing stuff, the tunnelling stuff (Paradox?),
and other complications such as traceroutes on Asymmetrical
satellite links?
I think Hankin could be persuaded to put his pages back up if
the distribution was limited to ISPs or a small group.
--
Ramin Marzbani
www.consult  Asia/Pacific Internet & E-Commerce Research

We're everywhere! Australia, NZ, Singapore, Malaysia,
Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and soon .... China.

And by the way, do the 5th online survey
http://survey.hotlink.com.au/cgi-bin/goto_survey_new?file=index.html&refid=ramin