Re: DNS: Let me get this straight...AU is ONE person ?

From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1§ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 01:37:59 +0100
Richard and all,

Richard Archer wrote:

> At 15:55 +1000 22/6/98, Jim Fleming wrote:
>
> >Please explain how this makes any sense and
> >why it would not be better to have MORE people
> >from the Internet community in Australia involved
> >in the management of the .AU TLD.
>
> Because Robert is doing a good job.

  This is not an answer to Jims statement.  It is mearly an opinion.  And only
one persons opinion at that.

> We have a stable and reliable DNS, and any change from the
> current system is likely to be for the worse.

  How?  Can you prove this to be true?

> I don't see the point in changing the current system unless there is
> general concensus that the repacement system is an improvement.

  How do you suggest that a "Consensus" be reached?  Doesn't this statement
somewhat contradict you previous statement "We have a stable and reliable DNS,
and any change from the current system is likely to be for the worse."  If not,
it is
awful close.

> We were working on the formation of a body to take over management
> of .AU - in fact this list was created to further that very process.

  This is good.  And most likely as it should be.  But if you say that "any
change from the
current system is likely to be for the worse", than why is this list even
discussing
.AU?

> A brief perusal of the list archives demonstrates that it's a lot harder
> to establish a stable and equitable domain management authority than
> picking eight people and saying "you're it!".

  To be sure this is true!  You are certainly no exception.  But there are those

on this list that would make good candidates.

> Yours sincerely,
> Richard Archer.

 Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.