Re: [DNS] ENOUGH is ENOUGH

From: Doug Osborn <doug§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:10:33 +1000
>just how long does it take to get a delegation request
>through the .org.au process?
>
>have lifeline australia waiting extraodinarly patiently for
>www.lifeline.org.au to be delegate so they can print $20k of material.
>
>just how long does it take for Mr Elz to get off his butt and do his job?

It's most likely *because* kre is doing his (paid) job that he doesn't have
much time to allocate to volunteer activities such as org.au administration.

>if he cant do his job then he should give it to a commercial
>company that can. it is simply not tolerable that organisations
>like lifeline are made to suffer because the dns system in this
>country is totaly stuffed.

No fees for org.au domain name licenses, all work is done gratis by a
volunteer. What exactly are you expecting?

>lifeline perform a very important service for this country and
>is disgracefull that they are subject to this kind of shaby third
>rate treatment.

But not as disgraceful as an unprovoked, extremely personal attack on a
public mailing list. I doubt that Lifeline were singled out for any
particular treatment.

The problem is one of resourcing (I think that this was point 7 of Kate's
excellent list). Where a service is resourced by donations, "acceptable"
customer service is a hard target to define.

If anyone is sure that they can do a better job for the same price or
contribute to the service, why not step forward and volunteer rather than
complain?

Doug