Re: [DNS] ENOUGH is ENOUGH (fwd)

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:09:11 +0930
At 15:06 21/07/98 +1000, vicc&#167;cia.net.au wrote:
>let me tell you what is unacceptable: is that lifelines youth suicide
>prevention program is on hold becuse the URL is sitting in MR Elz queue
>and has been siting there for a week. THAT IS WHAT IS UNACCEPTABLE.

come on, Vic, lighten up (subject matter absolutely notwithstanding). If
you need a working URL this week, get one going that isn't
'lifeline.org.au'. There are plenty of other alternatives as we all know.
It just is not rational to use the intended outcome of the name you are
seeking as a moral, emotional or technical argument for faster name
allocation. That just doesn't work, does it mate - the notion of who is
more 'worthy' for a fast dns allocation just doesn't scale (let alone work
in the first place) as a criteria for queue-jumping.

People are NOT kiilling themselves because your bloody domain name isn't
through yet (see the next two points)

- If you have printed something on the anticipation that you'll get that
DNS name, you should know better. The rest of us do.

- If you have got such an urgent need, why didn't you put the request in a
month earlier rather than putting it in late and then stepping on the head
of a volunteer operating a volunteer process?

If it's so urgent, put it up as www.ispname.com.au/lifeline and live with
it. If it isn't really that urgent, then wait. Either way, blaming Robert
Elz personally for your lack of planning doesn't become you.

sheesh.

Simon

---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777