Re: [DNS] ENOUGH is ENOUGH (fwd)

From: <vicc§cia.net.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:17:56 +1000 (EST)
>_From: Simon Hackett
>
> At 15:06 21/07/98 +1000, vicc&#167;cia.net.au wrote:
> >let me tell you what is unacceptable: is that lifelines youth suicide
> >prevention program is on hold becuse the URL is sitting in MR Elz queue
> >and has been siting there for a week. THAT IS WHAT IS UNACCEPTABLE.
> >

> come on, Vic, lighten up (subject matter absolutely notwithstanding). If
> you need a working URL this week, get one going that isn't
> 'lifeline.org.au'. There are plenty of other alternatives as we all know.
> It just is not rational to use the intended outcome of the name you are
> seeking as a moral, emotional or technical argument for faster name
> allocation. That just doesn't work, does it mate - the notion of who is
> more 'worthy' for a fast dns allocation just doesn't scale (let alone work
> in the first place) as a criteria for queue-jumping.

the question simon is that .org.au is causing a lot of religious and charity
organistations grief. obviously an enlighentend individual like yourself
would like to see this grief end? isnt that right simon. the question
isnt one of "worthy" but one of "carelessness" to the situation of
those wishing a internet domain, week long delegations cant be classified
to be working in this gracious year of our lord 1998 can they?

> People are NOT kiilling themselves because your bloody domain name isn't
> through yet (see the next two points)

no but a working web site *may* have helped to prevent some deaths.

much to the indiference of many on this list and the dns arbietmaesters.

> - If you have printed something on the anticipation that you'll get that
> DNS name, you should know better. The rest of us do.

no simon I have told not told them to print anything. they already
have the name they simply want it delegated.

> - If you have got such an urgent need, why didn't you put the request in a
> month earlier rather than putting it in late and then stepping on the head
> of a volunteer operating a volunteer process?
>
> If it's so urgent, put it up as www.ispname.com.au/lifeline and live with
> it. If it isn't really that urgent, then wait. Either way, blaming Robert
> Elz personally for your lack of planning doesn't become you.

well simon I was asked a week ago by lifeline if we could provide free
services as they were being stuffed around by another ISP who will remain
nameless. we were only too happy to help out and immediately
submited there delegation for the site they have ready. I warned them
that .org.au times for delegation can be totaly random and they
should contact Robert Elz directly for help. they did, he was totaly
unsympathetic from what I am told. lifeline have a truckload of
material waiting at the printers for approval to be printed, it been sitting
there for a while now. and if the dns system in this country was anything
but a farce it would have hit the streets by now.

dns should have been fixed 12 months ago, and we are still farting around
making pretty faqs about what a mess the situation is.

when is the dns forum going to happen?

yes I am taking this very seriously, no I am not going to calm down.

Vic